2016 is less than a week away! You know what that means– New Year’s Resolutions are in the forefront of our minds! What better way to start fresh than with a rejuvenated closet? Get rid of what you don’t wear and make room for exciting new clothes, or just save space!
Begin the clean out process with four categories: 1) keep 2) resale shop/giveaway 3) donate/Goodwill 4) Trash
I like to use a different trash bag for each category and just leave the keep items in my closet/dresser. But make sure you take everything out and look at it!
Ask yourself these questions:
- Does this fit? Ladies, it’s time to do away with your “skinny” clothes that will only fit once you lose 10lbs! That motivation never works, get rid of it! Also, I know I have a pile of clothes at home that are too big and need to be altered, and yet I never take them to get fixed! Perfect for resale shops or donation.
- Have I worn this in the last 12 months? This is a great rule to go by because it helps eliminate a lot! If you say no, then get rid of it!
- Is this currently in style? If you say no, don’t keep something just because you think it MIGHT come back in style one day!
- If the piece is damaged in any way, will I make the effort to get it fixed?
- If I was shopping right now would I buy this? One of my personal favorites since I love to shop so much! Approach your closet clean out like you’re at your favorite store shopping. If you wouldn’t re-buy it, then it’s time to get rid of it.
- Do I feel confident in this? We all know we won’t wear something if we don’t feel good in it!
- Could this use a replacement? I always wear tanks underneath tops, so I always check for pulls, holes, and discoloration. This is a good hint that it’s time to buy new and replace my staples.
Lastly, and MOST importantly…you should be able to think of at least 3 different ways to wear every item in your closet. If you can’t, seriously think about getting rid of it.
Good luck ladies! Nothing feels better than a cleaned out closet. Plus, I bet you will discover clothes you forgot about!
Now that you’ve made room for new, shop our Year End Blow Out Sale!